Re: Volunteering with LilyPond

From: Eyolf Østrem
Subject: Re: Volunteering with LilyPond
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 20:33:24 +0100

On 06.01.2008 (14:21), Reilly wrote:
> Eyolf,
>
> On Jan 6, 2008, at 12:00 PM, address@hidden wrote:
>
> Perhaps I misunderstand the purpose of Graham's example question.

It's easy: the purpose of ALL of Graham's examples is that THIS TAKES
RESOURCES and no matter how good the idea is, someone has to do it. :)
It's annoying as hell, but he's right...

> In re your clarification re
> falls and doits above (a), yes, lots of variations, sometimes the length of
> the gliss indicates length of fall or doit. The fall/doit "symbol" is
> something like a musical font. I personally would not tweak this feature
> much, unless I hated the preset symbol.

Thanks

> I think we disagree slightly on how my proposal would work (or, perhaps, how
> people behave). If I have to notate a classical guitar passage and I consult
> the Lilypond documentation and I find it inadequate, it is expecting a lot
> of my --- aka, the casual music engraver --- to rewrite the documentation
> and send it to "somebody." (I don't even know to whom I would send it.) On
> the other hand, if I am a subscriber to a Lilypond Resource List and a
> specific question comes along to which I know the answer, I think I would be
> inclined to answer it. I do agree that from the documentation team's point
> of view it is more practical for volunteers to commit to rewrite sections of
> the manual.

I was thinking more along the lines of: person A writes a lot of guitar
scores, over the years (or months) he has aquired a good understanding of
how the guitar-specific features of LP work, and he has also assembled a
number of tweaks. He would be in a better position to rewrite those
sections or come up with good/annoying questions than person B, who only
writes polyrhytmic stuff for gamelan gongs.

I was unclear about the "somebody" part. This list is a good candidate
(although things tend to disappear in the bulk of messages here unless one
has a good email client and working habits; I try to flag important
messages, but I know I miss things); the docs meister is another -- once
there is one again.

> ps: How would an English speaker pronounce your name?

Eye-olph with the stress on the first syllable. Should be easy, but I have
friends who still call me Eee-loph, even after almost a decade...

Eyolf

--
The Principal of Greenbow County Central Schools: "Your
momma sure does care 'bout your schoolin' son"