Re: Thank you!

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Thank you!
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 21:19:47 -0800

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 02:19:26 +0100
"Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:

> However, you may have noticed that my way is different than yours: I
> use to always do a few different LilyPond-related tasks at a same
> time, so that I never get bored

So do I.
- oversee normal bug reports
- manage volunteers
- explain things to new volunteers
- read all mailists for anything relevant
- discuss various long-ranging plans, or in some cases postpone
  such discussions
- apply Trevor's patches to the LM, after fixing build issues
- manually merge .itely files where two people were working on
  them at the same time and moved text around
- carefully review and commit patches from newer helpers
- explain what the docs meant to newer helpers, so that they can
  phrase it better
- discuss specifics of doc sections with helpers who are working
  on those sections
- manage TODO lists
- manage doc sources for people who aren't using git

Since I'm hitting 4 hours a day, I'm clearly doing too much --
especially for somebody who's retiring.  Therefore I feel entirely
justified in shelving discussion about whatever we were talking
about.

Since you have so much energy, you can go and fix some mistakes:
- Unanswered bug report from Raphael Manfredi from Jan 6.  Two reports
were made; Mats answered one of them.  You can't be bored of bugs
already.

- obvious mistakes in the Pitches snippet list.  Since I've
  announced the "almost-final" version of Pitches, it would have
been nice if these were already fixed.
  - WTF are glissano-contemporary and jazz-combo-template listed here?
  - there's some obvious indentation problems.  I'm particularly
concerned about preventing-extra...  since that's included verbatim in
the manual.  Some advanced user is going to point out this problem in a
day or two.
  - a few snippets have odd extra {} around the entire thing.
  - ambiti-multiple-voices has some problems with the snippetverbatim.
You could leave this for John to fix, but it would be nice if you could
figure out why it's happening and fix it yourself.

These tasks aren't as urgent as the bug reports, so I didn't
bother mentioning them a week ago when I first noticed them.

- in a few weeks, all going well, we'll be looking at Rhythms.
  You could start looking for problems there.

Cheers,
- Graham

PS  I'm generally much, much nicer to volunteers.  I'm just hard
on Valentin because he reminds me of myself when I was young (-er)
and foolish (-er).  :)