Re: Thank you!

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Thank you!
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 11:48:55 +0100

2008/1/8, Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 02:19:26 +0100
> "Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > However, you may have noticed that my way is different than yours: I
> > use to always do a few different LilyPond-related tasks at a same
> > time, so that I never get bored
>
> So do I.
> - oversee normal bug reports
> - manage volunteers
> - explain things to new volunteers
> - read all mailists for anything relevant
> - discuss various long-ranging plans, or in some cases postpone
>   such discussions
> - apply Trevor's patches to the LM, after fixing build issues
> - manually merge .itely files where two people were working on
>   them at the same time and moved text around
> - carefully review and commit patches from newer helpers
> - explain what the docs meant to newer helpers, so that they can
>   phrase it better
> - discuss specifics of doc sections with helpers who are working
>   on those sections
> - manage TODO lists
> - manage doc sources for people who aren't using git
>
> Since I'm hitting 4 hours a day, I'm clearly doing too much --
> especially for somebody who's retiring.  Therefore I feel entirely
> justified in shelving discussion about whatever we were talking
> about.

I might be spending even more time these days. Clearly too much for me
too, but it's just so exciting :)

> Since you have so much energy, you can go and fix some mistakes:
> - Unanswered bug report from Raphael Manfredi from Jan 6.  Two reports
> were made; Mats answered one of them.  You can't be bored of bugs
> already.

Oh yes. I was hesitating whether to accept it or to ask for a minimal
example -- in the end I just marked it with a star (on my Gmail web
interface) and postponed it.

I should have a bug-day like you did on wednesdays, for all things
that are more than just copy/pasting reports.

> - obvious mistakes in the Pitches snippet list.  Since I've
>   announced the "almost-final" version of Pitches, it would have
> been nice if these were already fixed.

OK, I have reviewed all Pitches-tagged snippets. removed a few.

>   - WTF are glissano-contemporary and jazz-combo-template listed here?

glissando-contemporary: seemed obvious to me. It is a notation that
affects Pitches, in a very specific way. However, after having
re-checked it, I'm not convinced anymore (this is not a "real"
glissando as it isn't meant to lead from one pitch to another). Tag
removed.

jazz-combo-template: ok, it's kind of a riddle. I tagged it as Pitches
(it was the #4 or #5 tag, because it's obviously not this snippet's
primary purpose) just because it was a very nice example of
transposing instruments. OK, I removed the Pitches tag.

>   - there's some obvious indentation problems.  I'm particularly
> concerned about preventing-extra...  since that's included verbatim in
> the manual.  Some advanced user is going to point out this problem in a
> day or two.

Oh yes. I have to say I didn't really pay attention to this detail. I
now have reviewed and corrected all docs-tagged snippets, and you
should not get  this problem anymore.

>   - a few snippets have odd extra {} around the entire thing.

I have found and corrected a couple of these, but it's hard to find
all of them since I can hradly search for "{" :(

>   - ambiti-multiple-voices has some problems with the snippetverbatim.
> You could leave this for John to fix, but it would be nice if you could
> figure out why it's happening and fix it yourself.

I can't. Maybe it's because I've used some <code></code> formatting
tags in the HTML description, other than that, I don't understand
what's happening.

> These tasks aren't as urgent as the bug reports, so I didn't
> bother mentioning them a week ago when I first noticed them.

You should have; I (still) handle LSR snippets much better than bug reports.

2008/1/8, Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

> Oops, I just remembered what else I was going to say:
> - you can't use <blockquote> in the .css, since that's used in the
>   @warning.  Try doing something with the class="" commands
> instead.

Yes, I already have worked this out (but I thought this was to be postponed :)

Cheers,
Valentin