Tweaking confusion

From: Reilly
Subject: Tweaking confusion
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 21:15:38 -0500

Borrowing heavily from the LSR and the archive, I created a Tempo Mark I could use in my scores. The trick was to make an initial tempo mark (Allegro con moto with a metronome mark) print left justified with the time signature. I succeeded with the following code:

        tempoOne = {
                \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-align-symbol =
#'time-signature
                \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #-1
\mark \markup{ \bold "Allegro con moto" { \smaller { \note #"4" #1 = 112 } } }
                \override Score.MetronomeMark #'transparent = ##t
                \tempo 4 = 112
         }

There was one problem, however. Although I specified self-alignment left justified, the tempo mark was NOT left justified. I was able to tweak it into a left justified position by adding:

                \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'X-offset = #7

So far, so good.

However, the tempo mark was too high above the staff. So I tried to move it lower with the following code:

                \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'Y-offset = #-3

Unfortunately, the tempo mark did not move lower.

So, I did some more research and discovered the following code:

(a) \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-align-symbols = #' ( time-signature )

which is ever so slightly different from my code line

(b) \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-align-symbol = #'time-signature

(Note especially the 's' on the end of symbols.) Why two "slightly" different code? Is one more correct than the other? Or are they different code?

Code (a) actually worked great and left justified the tempo mark without using the X-offset =#7.

But, I still cannot lower the tempo mark.

Although I was able to left justify the tempo mark with code (a), in the manual I read that I should use the following code:

\once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'break-align-anchor-alignment = #LEFT

I thought this "simple" (ahem, ahem) tweak, would be a good illustration of precisely how baffled I am by Lilypond code. I really don't know what I am doing and batter my music into the right form by dint of research and lots of trial and error. I don't want to do it this way.

In one of the model snippets for a tempo mark, the author included the following line of code:

              \once \override Score . RehearsalMark #'no-spacing-rods = ##t

Questions:
1. What is no-spacing-rods for?
2. Why two codes for break-align-symbol, both of which work, but not quite the same way? 3. Why can I left justify with Score.RehearsalMark #'break-align-symbol while the manual suggests that I use Staff.TimeSignature #'break-align-anchor-alignment?
4. Is there a difference in question #3? Should I have a preference?
5. Why is this so hard anyway?   ;-)

Much obliged.

Cheers,

Jeremiah