Re: Lilypond-book and LaTeX; a few issues

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: Lilypond-book and LaTeX; a few issues
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:45:45 +0100

Le 11 janv. 08 à 22:31, Alasdair McAndrew a écrit :

I am using lilypond-book (with LaTeX) to collect several different lilypond files into one nice document - with title page, table of contents, and an introduction. However, the music never comes out properly on the page. Using lilypond on a single file, the music is nicely laid out, appropriate space between the systems, and the first system (there are only two staves - it's a collection of duets) indented for the instrument names.

However, the same music in lilypond-book comes out either moved partly off the page, or on the page but with huge margins - and the first system not indented, but with the instrument names set to its left. (This accounts for the huge margin - there is white space beneath the instrument names for the rest of the page). Also, the systems are more crowded vertically then they are in plain lilypond.

Clearly I need to do some fiddling to make lilypond's page formatter, and LaTeX's page formatter, go well together. Can anybody give me some advice on this?

The vertical layout cannot be as finely tuned using lilypond-book and LaTeX as it can be using LilyPond only. Indeed, in the first case, LilyPond layout engine computes the line breaks, and LaTeX takes care of filling the pages. Using LilyPond only, the layout engine can compute line breaks together with page breaks, and
space nicely the systems.

You may get rid off LaTeX and use LilyPond only, for instance with the help of
this titling stylesheet:
  http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=368