Re: double repeat voltas

From: David Fedoruk
Subject: Re: double repeat voltas
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 22:28:28 -0800

I've worked ahead on this piece of music and found that perhaps the
problem is not where it thought that it was.

What I saw as a single bar line in the middle of a bar is actually an
extra bar who's ending bar line I could not see (yet). As soon as I
attempted to move into the next section, the end of the bar appeared.

This has been a hair puling problem (thankfully, I still have hair
left -- so I am not yet defeated!). The music is as I have described
in my first post. I am at the point where the B section is ending and
the last A is upon me.

| A |: B1 :|: B2 | B2 1st ending :| B2 2nd ending | A ||

The problem first occurs in the second ending, a bar line in the
middle where it should not be. The other problems in this section come
from having to move from the B section which is one voice to the A
section which  has two voices. I've only been partially successful in
solving this problem.

%%%% Snip %%%           % bar 48
}
\include "english.ly"
\version "2.11.37"
     upper = \relative c'' {
        \clef treble
        \key bf \major
        \time 2/4
                \mark "Allegro"
                \override TupletNumber #'transparent = ##t
                \set Staff.extraNatural = ##f
                \set tupletSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 8)
                \override TupletBracket #'transparent = ##t

                % second ending
                { { \times 2/3 { f16[ ) a, ] \change Staff = lower \stemDown f
a[ f
]       \change Staff = upper f'( d[ )  a ] \change Staff = lower d, f,[
bf,\! ]  \p a' \change Staff = upper  }
                } \bar "||"
                % bar 48
                \set Score.currentBarNumber = #49 \bar ""
                                                | \break
                \clef treble
                \key d \minor
        \times 2/3 { \change staff = lower  bf16)->[ e, ] cs'( \change Staff
= upper  e)->[ g, ] a ]  bf->[ f ] d'( ]  f)->[ a, ] bs(  } |
        \times 2/3 { cs16)->[ g e'( ] } \times 2/3 { g) [ bf,? ] d( } \times
2/3 { ef->) a,[ a'( ] } \times 2/3 { c?->)[ c, ] d( } |
         }

      lower = \relative c' {
        \clef bass
        \key bf \major
        \time 2/4

        \skip 16 \skip 16*8
                                                                | \break
        \set Score.currentBarNumber = #49 \bar ""
        \clef bass
        \key d \minor
        r8      <a,, a'>4-. <d d'>8-.~
                | % bar 49

                }

     \score {
        \new PianoStaff <<
           \override PianoStaff.SpacingSpanner
#'base-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment 1 16)
           \set PianoStaff.instrumentName = "Piano  "
           \new Staff = "upper" \upper
           \new Staff = "lower" \lower

        \layout { }

        \midi { }

     }

%%%%%%  END SNIP %%%

I hope this is enough code to see the problem. The change from one
voice to two voices is faulty. It only almost works. and part-way
through the first bar of A (bar 49) the end of the bar i saw begin in
the middle of the second ending appears.

Cheers,
David

--
David Fedoruk
B.Mus. UBC,1986

http://recordjackethistorian.wordpress.com
"Music is enough for one's life time, but one life time is not enough
for music" Sergei Rachmaninov