from abc a general approach ?

From: Joe Mc Cool
Subject: from abc a general approach ?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:23:51 +0000

Please,

I am trying to put together a collection of (Irish) traditional music and I
need some general advice.

I have lilypond book working quite well, but I find the abc code is
such that the resulting abc2ly files are often unsatisfactory -
problems with beaming, abc2ly complains about a variety of things and
says "HUH ?" a lot.  Patching up the abc and/or ly is a lot of work.

One of the reasons why I tried Lillypond at all is that I perceive a
lack of standards in abc files.

I have also tried abcm2ps and producing eps files.  But here I cannot
get latex to position the graphics consistently on the page and the
printed output is again not very attractive sometimes.

Any tips ?

Perhaps I just have to prepare myself for a lot of donkey work and
there is nothing I can do about it :-(

--
Thanks