Re: Which engraver creates \fermataMarkup

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Which engraver creates \fermataMarkup
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:52:23 +0100

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
Am Montag, 14. Januar 2008 schrieben Sie:
See section "Multi measure rests" in the manual.

Thanks, but that's the first place that I looked. It only says that the fermata markup is a MultiMeasureRestText. The internal reference then says that these objects are created by Multi_measure_rest_engraver, which I couldn't really believe, since from my experience, lilypond uses all different kinds of engravers for each small detail. So I found it very odd that one and the same engraver would create the MultiMeasureRest, the MultiMeasureRestNumber and the MultiMeasureRestText (which as a consequence makes it impossible to remove the fermata markup from a multi-measure rest without resorting to a music-filter as suggested by Gilles).
An alternative to the music-filter approach is to just remove the object by making
it transparent: \override MultiMeasureRestText #'transparent = ##t
or by removing the function that prints it: \override MultiMeasureRestText #'stencil = ##f see http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Visibility-and-color-of-objects#Visibility-and-color-of-objects
for more information.

  /Mats