Re: Feature request: attach notation elements to barlines

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Feature request: attach notation elements to barlines
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:46:22 -0600

Hi Kieren,

Really interesting point actually. Can we take this a bit farther for a moment?

I love the idea of "durated" spanners, and, in fact have just such a
concept in some of the (non-lily) code I write to model parts of my
notation in larger pieces.

That said, I have a question for you: let's say that we have this:

  c'1 \>1
  \time 5/8
  d'4
  e'4.

What is the ideal "spot" for the decrescendo to end?

1. just before the barline like tupletFullLength?

2. dead underneath the barline like an under-fermata?

3. under the time signature?

4. under the d'4?

Thoughts?

And now for a follow-up question (which is one that I'm intensely
interested in): can we possbly engineer a way to get this:

  c'1 \f \>1 \p
  \time 7/8
  d'4 \f
  e'4.

What I'm looking for here is a way of spanning the full length of the
c'1 with a hairpin that goes from f to p, followed by a new f on the
following d'4. Now, one way of looking at this is to say that the
notation should instead be ...

  c'1 \f \>
  \time 5/8
  d'4 \sf
  e'4.

... or something, but that drives me *crazy*. I would absolutely love
a way to "outline" the full duration of an arbitrat note with a
spanner / hairpin *with text elements in both the left and right
edges* and then follow that *on the next note* with another text
element ... or another such doubly-marked, full-duration spanner.

Would anyone else ever find this sort of thing useful? Or am I
uniquely obsessed with outlining the full durations of individual
notes in this way?