Re: a Lilypond-LaTeX font question

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: a Lilypond-LaTeX font question
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:21:04 +0100

If I were you, I would try to narrow down what the real problem is, step by step.
I can verify that your second example below works just fine, when I try to
process it with lilypond-book in Linux. This is true also if I replace the \"
commands in the LaTeX part of the document with the corresponding
unicode characters üäö.

I have never used TeXShop, but I guess you use the Lilypond-LaTeX engine from http://users.dimi.uniud.it/~nicola.vitacolonna/freesoftware.html. As far as I can see, it just runs lilypond-book and then latex, so nothing strange should happen there. However, I would recommend to use the pdflatex approach instead, i.e. to edit Lilypond-LaTeX.engine and replace the lines starting with "if (( lilypond-book ..." by (please note that I have not tested this, so it's likely to contain some typo):

if ({ lilypond-book --output="$1:r"-out --pdf "$1" }) then
 cd "$1:r"-out
 if ({ pdflatex "$1" }) then
   mv "$1:r".pdf ..
 endif
endif

At least in some Windows versions, I seem to recall that the --psfonts approach
didn't work so well, but --pdf + pdflatex didn't show the same problems.

Can you see any log printouts from the calls to lilypond-book? If so, you could try to add the flag --verbose to the call to lilypond-book above. Otherwise, you could try to manually run the commands in a command prompt, to be able to see all the
log printouts.

    /Mats

James E. Bailey wrote:
Having tried all of the options suggested, I've come to something, first, in TeXShop, using Lilypond-LaTeX mode, on a file saved in UTF8 encoding, this code parses and translates correctly, with the errors stated
%!TEX TS-program =  Lilypond-LaTeX
%!TEX encoding =  UTF8
\documentclass[a4paper, 12pt]{article}
\usepackage[german]{babel}
\begin{document}
Obwohl Lilypond und LaTeX verstehen und unterst\"utzen UTF-8 encodieren, es gibt bei der Benutzung von $\backslash$begin\{lilypond\} einige Probleme. Zum Beispiel, Hier can man W\"orter mit Umlauten benutzen.

\begin{lilypond}
\version "2.11.37"
\markup {Hier aber kommen umlautete Wörter leider nicht.}
\end{lilypond}
\end{document}

This generates the same file
%!TEX TS-program =  Lilypond-LaTeX
%!TEX encoding =  UTF8
\documentclass[a4paper, 12pt]{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\begin{document}
Obwohl Lilypond und LaTeX verstehen und unterst\"utzen UTF-8 encodieren, es gibt bei der Benutzung von $\backslash$begin\{lilypond\} einige Probleme. Zum Beispiel, Hier can man W\"orter mit Umlauten benutzen.

\begin{lilypond}
\version "2.11.37"
\markup {Hier aber kommen umlautete Wörter leider nicht.}
\end{lilypond}
\end{document}

In fact, the only way I can get the umlauts in my lilypond files to show up in an included LaTeX file is to use LaTeX (not Lilypond-LaTeX) and to use the \lilypondfile{....ly} option. Does anyone else have this same result? Is it just me? Am I missing something?

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology