Re: left justifying text over multimeasure rests

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: left justifying text over multimeasure rests
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:01:20 -0700

Trevor Daniels wrote:
Paul

Release 11 differs from release 10 in this respect.  IIRC
release 10 expanded a bar to accommodate text attached to a
skip note in a multi-measure rest bar.  The R11 NR now says
at the end of 1.2.2, Writing rests:

 Long text is better attached to a
zero-length skip note preceding the rest, preceded by
\fatText (turn off again with \emptyText), since this will
cause the measure to expand to accommodate the length of the
text.
This is still closer to the center than the left edge of the MMR. Unless there is a use for this I would remove it from the NR.
"Text attached to a skip note in this way is left-aligned to
the position where the note would be placed in the bar, and
placed above the bar count numeral,
That seems self contradictory.
 but because the bar
length is determined by the length of the text, the text
will appear to be centered. If two (or more) texts are
attached to skip notes in a bar the bar length is determined
by the longer text, and the shorter text is then clearly
left-aligned, as shown in the second bar above. If the
shorter text of two marks is short enough to fit it will be
placed alongside and to the left of the bar count numeral."
1. I'm not finding this in the online docs.

2. It is quite complicated.

3. Is it useful to anyone?
Does this explain your problem?
Maybe, if I could understand it.

I clearly should check out Mats' suggestion as meeting my needs.

Thanks,

Paul