Re: Feature request: attach notation elements to barlines

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Feature request: attach notation elements to barlines
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 21:44:51 -0500

Hi Trevor,

Can we take this a bit farther for a moment?

I'd love to!  =)

Thoughts?

Perhaps if we had spanner-bounds control, and -- more importantly -- could specify X-extent values in *DURATIONS* (instead of staff- lines), we could say

    \once \override Hairpin #'bounds = #'((3 . 8) (1 . 4))

to force the hairpin to start a distance of three-eighths after it "should have started", and end one quarter note's distance before it "should have ended"?

I would absolutely love
a way to "outline" the full duration of an arbitrat note with a
spanner / hairpin *with text elements in both the left and right
edges* and then follow that *on the next note* with another text
element ... or another such doubly-marked, full-duration spanner.

If Hairpin were a real Spanner, wouldn't we have the ability to set bound-text on the left and right (like OttavaBracket, etc.)?

Would anyone else ever find this sort of thing useful?

Definitely.

Best wishes,
Kieren.