Re: GDP: addition for Rhythms?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: GDP: addition for Rhythms?
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:08:34 +0100

till wrote:
Hi,

I just read a bit further in the GDP and saw this example about polymetric
music where each note has still the same duration, so the barlines won't be
on the same vertical position. Because Lilypond can't count the bars
anymore, it won't put bar numbers by default. This has to be done a similar
way by removing the Bar_number_engraver from the score and putting it into
the staves.
Honestly, what would the purpose be of such bar numbers? For rehearsals,
such bar numbers are useless, since they're different for each part, so you
would need to rely on rehearsal marks instead.
Also, if you try to do the suggested change, you will notice that the resulting bar numbers collide with the left edge bracket/brace/bar line unless you move them
further to the left.
Should this be added to the example, or find a mentioning in the section
about bar numbers? Or would you like it as a snippet?
What I thought migh make sense, would be to remove the bar number engraver
from the Score context, but it turns out that no bar numbers are typeset anyway (probably since the bar numbering information isn't available at the Score level),
so it's not necessary neither.

   /Mats