Re: GDP: addition for Rhythms?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: GDP: addition for Rhythms?
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:33:50 +0100

2008/1/14, till <address@hidden>:

> I just read a bit further in the GDP and saw this example about polymetric
> music where each note has still the same duration, so the barlines won't be
> on the same vertical position. Because Lilypond can't count the bars
> anymore, it won't put bar numbers by default. This has to be done a similar
> way by removing the Bar_number_engraver from the score and putting it into
> the staves.
> Should this be added to the example, or find a mentioning in the section
> about bar numbers? Or would you like it as a snippet?

There are two kinds of polymetric music AFAIK: "real" polymetric
pieces, where the timeSignature are always different between parts,
and "false" polymetric pieces, where such a method is just used
temporarily, as a special effect, for a more or less short section.

As Mats pointed out, adding bar numbers in a polymetric piece of the
first kind would be somehow pointless. In a piece of the second kind,
you may use a function such as:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=333

However, if have a snippet to propose to make this whole thing more
self-explanatory, it could be great :)

Cheers,
Valentin