RE: Cannot process a song from Mutopia

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: Cannot process a song from Mutopia
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 21:43:10 -0000

Hi Daniel

If you look in Bach-Invention-01.ly you will see it
says \version "2.7.40" just after the header block.
This shows which version of LilyPond it was written
for.  You will have downloaded a more recent version
of LilyPond, and the format of the input file has
changed slightly between the two versions.  This
difference in versions causes the error.

The LilyPond installation provides a program which
use can use to convert the source code to your
version.  Start up a Command Prompt window and
type convert-ly.py -e [path]/Bach-Invention-01.ly
and it will update it (as far as it can).  This is
the general solution.

However, in this case the problem is easily fixed.
Use a text editor like NotePad to remove \tempo 4 = 80
from

\midi  { \tempo 4 = 80 } leaving \midi { }

and place it instead immediately after the first

\relative c' {

to give

\relative c' {
\tempo 4 = 80

Save and try again.

(If you use convert-ly an alternative way of specifying
the tempo will be used - both are valid although they have
slightly different effects.)

Trevor D