Re: Different tempos

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: Different tempos
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 08:14:26 -0800

>Message: 7
>Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 06:34:49 -0500
>From: Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: different tempos
>To: Kostia Rapoport <address@hidden>
>Cc: Lilypondusers Group <address@hidden>
>
>Hi Kostia,
>
>> [first of all: is it the right way to reply via email? i've never
>> used this kind of mailing lists but just ordinary insternet
>> discussion boards. will our conversation (maybe including useful
>> information for others) be visible on the archive on the lilypond-
>> website?]
>
>You need to "Reply All", in order to include the list on your response.
>[I've reposted this response to the list, to make sure it comes up in
>the archive, etc.]
>
>> there are four instruments, each with his own staff. all four are
>> playing just 8th notes in a different tempo. the very last note is
>> played together, simultaneously. for the first instrument, this is
>> the 8th note no. 513. for the first instrument, this is the 8th
>> note no. 631. for the first instrument, this is the 8th note no.
>> 483. and for the first instrument, this is the 8th note no. 379.

>I tried for a few minutes to solve your problem. However, it looks
>like Lilypond does not want to break in the middle of a note -- and
>since none of the intermediate notes ever line up exactly (379 and
>631 are primes), I couldn't figure out a way to get Lilypond to
>engrave more than a single system.
>
>Perhaps there are users out there with more experience with the
>timing_engraver who can help.
>
>Sorry,
>Kieren.

I don't know if anyone else helped with this, but I found it a rather fun
puzzle. Since lilypond can only have a line break where there is a measure,
essentially, I just inserted a blank bar line in the repeat command. That
solved everything for me.

\version "2.10.33"
\relative c'' {<<

\new Staff \with {