Re: Lilypond language definition for Notepad++

From: NJW
Subject: Re: Lilypond language definition for Notepad++
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:09:31 -0800 (PST)

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) wrote:

> I'm always curious why people spend a lot of time to create something
> for an editor that has been supported out of the box in jEdit for more
> than 3 years now.
Well, it's bad enough trying to learn LilyPond, without struggling against
jEdit, too.  Everyone's favourite editor is the one they know best, usually
the one they started with.  I do use jEdit, but only for LPT.

What's wrong with jEdit?  For me:

- it never looks 'quite right' (Java doesn't really do GTK very well, imo)
and the font rendering is not so good
- errors (of which there have been many) just throw up loads of bean errors,
which are meaningless to me and fail to bring up anything useful in Google
- I don't feel comfortable with it because I'm not really familiar with it
(or Java) -- vicious circle
- about one start out of four or five, I have to go in and reset some
preferences, because they've been 'lost'
- I can make little sense out of much of the documentation, including that
for LPT

I'm using jEdit v4.3pre9, as the latest version to have my needed features
working. LPT doesn't work at all with pre12 on Linux; pre9 is only missing
use of convert-ly (shell errors), but that's not mission-critical for me.
So it doesn't necessarily 'work out of the box' for everyone.

Above all, don't forget that OSS is partly about choice: just because
there's one working solution, doesn't mean that people don't want an
alternative.

</rant> ;)

--
Nick.