Re: Lilypond language definition for Notepad++

From: Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Subject: Re: Lilypond language definition for Notepad++
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:35:49 +0100

But there is no LilyPondTool in NotePad++, so it is not fair to say "hey, LilyPondTool is buggy, so I use notepad++ ".
My question was regarding this. JEdit supports LilyPond syntax highlight out of the box since the end of 2004.
Also, even if you have problems with LilyPondTool, ie. you can't use all the features - even in the worst cases you have at least twice as much features as in Emacs. Just think about auto-completion, error list (error underlining), an embedded pdf viewer without any dirty textedit:// hack. Or just show me another editor that will underline the input c.8 with red.
So, I can imagine that for many people using JEdit may be a trade-off. But look as an example, the most times critized problem of it, namely using Java. If I didn't use Java it would not exist at all, and certainly I would not have users from Linux, Mac and Windows world. So we must accept this trade-off: I don't like Java, but it is the platform which provides the most features in the shortest time for the most users.

And don't get this as an offense. My question was really curiosity. I spent (and spending) huge amounts of my free time for LilyPondTool development. I have no other reward (except the 55EUR donation get in 4 four years :-)) than people using it. So I want to make it a product that everyone uses for LilyPond. And I hope that some time there will be user-provided templates for example.

I would also be honored if LilyPondTool were mentioned on the Download page as an officially recommended tool, as Han-Wen suggested a year ago.

Bert

NJW wrote:
Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) wrote:

I'm always curious why people spend a lot of time to create something
for an editor that has been supported out of the box in jEdit for more
than 3 years now.

Well, it's bad enough trying to learn LilyPond, without struggling against
jEdit, too.  Everyone's favourite editor is the one they know best, usually
the one they started with.  I do use jEdit, but only for LPT.

What's wrong with jEdit?  For me:

- it never looks 'quite right' (Java doesn't really do GTK very well, imo)
and the font rendering is not so good
- errors (of which there have been many) just throw up loads of bean errors,
which are meaningless to me and fail to bring up anything useful in Google
- I don't feel comfortable with it because I'm not really familiar with it
(or Java) -- vicious circle
- about one start out of four or five, I have to go in and reset some
preferences, because they've been 'lost'
- I can make little sense out of much of the documentation, including that
for LPT

I'm using jEdit v4.3pre9, as the latest version to have my needed features
working. LPT doesn't work at all with pre12 on Linux; pre9 is only missing
use of convert-ly (shell errors), but that's not mission-critical for me.
So it doesn't necessarily 'work out of the box' for everyone.

Above all, don't forget that OSS is partly about choice: just because
there's one working solution, doesn't mean that people don't want an
alternative.

</rant> ;)

--
LilyPondTool is the editor for LilyPond files.
See http://lilypondtool.organum.hu