Re: composition title on every page except the first

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: composition title on every page except the first
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:49:07 +0100

What you describe is exactly what LilyPond does by default, except that it
typesets the instrument field instead of the title field, centered at the page header of all pages but the first one. This means that you can use the default definition which can be found in .../ly/titling-init.ly and just replace "instrument" by "title".

If you want to understand better how the default layout is done, read
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-06/msg00313.html

  /Mats

Felipe Vogel wrote:
Hello, I am new to LilyPond (AWESOME program, by the way!) and I have some
questions about headers.
I want to have the title of a composition appear at the top of every page
(in a small font). I found this message that explains how to do this:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-02/msg00638.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-02/msg00638.html However, I don't want the title to appear on the first page, where the
normal title appears in the header already. Is there any way to make a
header appear only on pages after the first?

Also, I want to place the page number on the left side of the header on
every page, but I want to center the title. Currently I can do this with the
\hspace command. For example:

\paper {
  oddHeaderMarkup = \markup {
    \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string
    \hspace #40  % place enough space between the page number and the title
so that the title is centered
    \fromproperty #'header:title
  }
  evenHeaderMarkup = \markup {
    \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string
    \hspace #40
    \fromproperty #'header:title

But this way I have to experiment for a while to see what number I should
use with \hspace to center the title. Is there a better way to do this? And
another thing, I didn't put " " and \on-the-fly
#print-page-number-check-first (which were included in the message I linked
to) in there because they don't make any difference in the output. Should I
use these?

Thank you!

Felipe

        Mats Bengtsson