Re: first-page-number set to negative number

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: first-page-number set to negative number
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:34:02 +0100

Valentin Villenave wrote:
2008/1/22, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden>:

Are you sure? The following works well
\paper{
  first-page-number = -2
}
and prints page number -1 on the second page, for example.

This is a nice feature, by the way; shouldn't we explicitly document
it in "page formatting" or something?
I don't find if very useful at all. Why would you want negative page numbers
on some pages?
What would extremely be useful, on the other hand, would be the possibility to
reset the page numbering in the middle of a book. For example, this would
make it possible to typeset a number of instrumental parts from a single .ly file and get the output in a single PDF file. Now, the best thing I can do is to make a separate \book block for each part, and try to remember that ...-1.ly was the
viola part and ...-8.ly was the oboe part, when I want to quickly check that
the output was correct.
Maybe an attractive alternative could be to be able to get the output of several \book{...} blocks into a single PDF file, but still keep the separate page numbering,
as well as the ragged-last-bottom and so on, in each \book.

   /Mats