Re: A question on "##t"

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: A question on "##t"
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:23:33 -0500

Hi Damian (et al.),

actually, this confuses me too

There may be a better (and, likely, more accurate) explanation than the one I'm about to give... but this works for me, so I hope it helps you. =)

if the # puts lilypond into scheme mode, does that mean that
the equals-sign in #'merge-differently-headed = ##t  is not scheme?

Yes! You are coding a key-value setting, i.e.,

    #'property-to-set = [??]

The question (and confusion) comes in how to present [??]. If property-to-set requires [??] to be a Scheme expression -- which most (if not all) Lilypond properties do -- then you need to tell the parser that [??] should be interpreted as a Scheme expression:

    #'property-to-set = #[??]

Now, the question remains whether [??] a "simple" number as represented in Scheme, e.g.,

    #'property-to-set = #1

or a Scheme pair, e.g.,

    #'property-to-set = #'(1 . 2)

or a "reserved Scheme value", e.g.

    #'property-to-set = ##t

and so on.

If property-to-set requires [??] to *not* be a Scheme expression, then

    #'property-to-set = 1\mm

(or whatever) would be sufficient.

if it is, then why not #'merge-differently-headed = #t?

Because then the Scheme value of [??] would be t, which doesn't mean anything in Scheme. ;-)

I realise this response has a roughly equal chance of making you MORE confused as it does LESS... but I hope it's the latter!

Best wishes,
Kieren.