Error trapping \chordmode in LP 2.11.37 for Windows

From: Jay Ricketts
Subject: Error trapping \chordmode in LP 2.11.37 for Windows
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 14:26:02 -0500

Hi all,

just about tore out my hair trying to figure out what was going on - I had a simple little score for the Danish Amen - wouldn't compile, gave no error messages in the log.  I had cloned a much larger more complex piece into a template, then edited to produce this.  Finally, 45 minutes later, after rebooting, checking for structure line-by-line, stripping out anything I wasn't using, I finally decided to check my syntax...

...and sure enough, I had entered a chord as ees/bes4 instead of ees4/bes.  Fixed that and it worked great.

I've been relying on LP's log files to tell me when I'm messing up the syntax.  Once bitten twice shy, I guess.  But still, even if it's a low priority fix for you all, it seems like syntax errors like these should be caught and reported in the log.  So I'm reporting here, and hoping someone will agree it's a bug and add it to the bug list.

I'll paste the files below.  They're pretty small, but larger than your typical snippet:

---begin ly file---

\version "2.11.36"#
(set-global-staff-size 13)
pipeSymbol = \bar "|"
\header {
title = "Danish Amen"
composer = "trad"
arranger = "."
poet = "."
source = "public domain composition"
copyright = "."
style = "acclamation"
maintainer = "Jay Ricketts"
maintainerEmail = "jay.ricketts (at) gmail.com"
lastupdated = "2008/Jan"
footer = "2008/1/28-1244"
}
mychords= \chordmode {
ees2 bes c:min g:min f:min/aes ees/bes4 bes:7 ees1
}

sopranoNotes = \relative {
 \time 4/4
 \key ees \major \clef treble \set Staff.midiInstrument = "voice oohs"
\bar ".|"
g'2 f ees d c4 f ees d ees1
\bar "|."
}
altoNotes = \relative {
 \time 4/4
 \key ees \major \clef treble \set Staff.midiInstrument = "voice oohs"
ees2 d c bes aes4 c bes ~ bes bes1
}
tenorNotes = \relative {
 \time 4/4
 \key ees \major \clef bass \set Staff.midiInstrument = "voice oohs"
bes2 bes g g  f4 aes g aes g1
}
bassNotes = \relative {
 \time 4/4
 \key ees \major \clef bass \set Staff.midiInstrument = "voice oohs"
}
verseOne = \lyricmode {
A -- men, a -- men, a - - - men.
}
\score { {
<<
\new ChordNames \mychords
\context Staff = TrebStaff
<<
\context Voice = SVoice {    \voiceOne \sopranoNotes     }
\context Voice = AVoice {    \voiceTwo \altoNotes    }

\context Lyrics = verseone \lyricsto SVoice \verseOne
\context Staff = BassStaff
<<
\context Voice = TVoice {    \voiceOne \tenorNotes    }
\context Voice = BVoice {    \voiceTwo \bassNotes    }

>> }  \layout {      \paper {
     system-count = #1
     }
} }

---end ly file---

---begin log file---

# -*-compilation-*-
Changing working directory to: `C:/Documents and Settings/mibjrr0/Desktop/LPFiles'
Processing `C:/Documents and Settings/mibjrr0/Desktop/LPFiles/Danish Amen.ly'
Parsing...

---end log file---

Oh, and thanks again for a really great program.

Best,

Jay Ricketts
Music Director
St. Paul's Episcopal Church