Re: pedal position

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: pedal position
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:12:31 +0100

I send a copy also to bug-lilypond, since I think there's something fishy
going on here with outside-staff-priority.

Stefan has correctly recognized that the relevant layout object to tweak is not
SustainPedal, but SustainPedalLineSpanner, just as you should tweak the
DynamicLineSpanner and not the DynamicText.

However, I don't understand what's going on, since as soon as I set
the outside-staff-priority of the SustainPedalLineSpanner, the dynamics
and pedal marks collide, no matter what values I use for the property.

\version "2.11.37"
\relative c''' {
 \override Staff.SustainPedalLineSpanner #'outside-staff-priority = #250
 \override Voice.DynamicLineSpanner #'outside-staff-priority = #0
 c2\pp\sustainDown
 c2\pp\sustainDown
}

So, for the bug report:
- Why does the pedal mark and dynamics collide as soon as you set
 SustainPedalLineSpanner #'outside-staff-priority
- Once the previous item has been resolved, shouldn't the different
 *PedalLineSpanner objects also have some setting of outside-staff-priority
 by default?

   /Mats

Stefan Thomas wrote:
It is possible to move these things vertically by hand?
I tried it with
\relative c''' {
\override SustainPedalLineSpanner #'padding = 8 c2~\pp\sustainDown \times 2/3 {c4 b bes} |
aes8\< f \times 2/3 {d8-. bes8-.
ges8-.\p\sustainUp } r2 | }
but the pedal and the dynamic stay at the same place.
Isn't there another solution?

Trevor Daniels schrieb:
Stefan Thomas wrote on 28 January 2008 23:22

Dear Lilypond-users,
in the below quoted snippet I'm not happy with
the vertical priority of
the pedal-symbols and theDynamic.
I would like to have the "pp" , the crescendo
hairpin etc. above the
pedal-signs. But I dont know ho to do.
"\once \override DynamicLineSpanner
#'outside-staff-priority = #1"
doesn't work. What can I do?
Here is the short example:
\relative c''' {
\once \override DynamicLineSpanner
#'outside-staff-priority = #1
c2~\pp\sustainDown \times 2/3 {c4 b bes} |
aes8\< f \times 2/3 {d8-. bes8-.
ges8-.\p\sustainUp } r2 | }

Normally you would resolve this by setting the
outside-staff-priority for both objects, but it
seems the placement algorithm does not honour the
outside-staff-priority of the objects related to
piano pedals.  If, outside-staff-priority is
set for SustainPedal, for example, DynamicText
moves closer to the staff, but the SustainPedal
does not move, causing the objects to crash.
Here's a minimal example, copied to -bug.

\relative c''' {
  c2\pp\sustainDown
  \override Voice.DynamicText #'outside-staff-priority = #1
  \override Staff.SustainPedal #'outside-staff-priority =
  c2\pp\sustainDown
}

Is this a bug or a feature to be documented?

Thanks for any advice,
Stefan

Trevor D

        Mats Bengtsson