Newbie: chord names above staff?

From: Jacobs, Steven P
Subject: Newbie: chord names above staff?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:26:00 -0500

Hello all,

I am trying to do something that I think would be quite common, placing chord names for a solo

in the middle of a song.  Following the lilypond documentation on ChordNames and \chordmode,

I came up with the code shown below.  The problem is that the chord names appear below the

staff.  In all of the examples shown in the lilypond documentation, the chord names appear

above the staff, and that is what I want.  What am I doing wrong?  Please help if you can.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Jacobs

\header {

  title = "Chord Test"

}

sl = {

  \override NoteHead #'style = #'slash

  \override Stem #'transparent = ##t

}

nsl = {

  \revert NoteHead #'style

  \revert Stem #'transparent

}

\version "2.10.33"

\score {

\relative {

\clef treble

\time 4/4

\key a \minor

e'4^\markup{Boring Melody} r4 e4 r4

e4 d4 e4 r4

e4 r4 e4 r4

a1 \break

<<

\new ChordNames \chordmode{a'1:m7 a1:m7 a1:m7 a1:m7}

{\sl b,4 b4 b4 b4

b4 b4 b4 b4

b4 b4 b4 b4

b4 b4 b4 b4 \nsl}