RE: adding to context voice conflicts with instrumentname

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: adding to context voice conflicts with instrumentname
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:59:33 -0000

Hi Simon

Your problem is using {..} after \new Staff instead of
<<..>>.  I'm not sure I fully understand why, nor do
I have 2.10 available to check, but I think what happens
is that the first Voice="V" is placed in the first staff,
but too late for the second Voice="V", which has already
created a new default staff for itself.  Maybe Mats can
iluminate further.

Anyway, it is always a good idea to use angle brackets
after \new Staff just to avoid this kind of problem.

I think this works OK:

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff <<
      \set Staff.instrumentName = "name"
      \new Voice = "V" { d'2 e' f' g' f' e' d'1 }

% other Staves and Voices go here
    \context Voice = "V" { s2 \hideNotes s1 \unHideNotes }

}

An alternative method which might be better is to define
your hidenotes with spacers in a variable which is then
included in parallel with the real music.  But the variable
definition has to go before the \score, like this:

hideControl = { s2 \hideNotes s1 \unHideNotes }
\score {
  <<
    \new Staff <<
      \set Staff.instrumentName = "name"