Re: GDP: NR 1.1 Pitches 2008-01-26

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: GDP: NR 1.1 Pitches 2008-01-26
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:25:43 +0100

2008/1/31, Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:27:24 +0100
> "Kess Vargavind" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > CONTENTS
> > Note names in other languages (last paragraph):
> >
> > "For both historical reasons and a greater simplicity, LilyPond uses a
> > single 's' for all these languages."
> >
> > I'm not really sure what's intended with that sentence, to me it
> > sounds like that I'm unable to write "cess" or "ciss" with
> > svenska.ly, which is not the case. Is the intended meaning somewhere
> > along the lines of "...LilyPond uses a single 's' in the default
> > syntax"?
>
> Interesting... that paragraph directly contradicts the table
> above, which shows that ciss is accepted in Norweigen and Swedish.
> Either something changed since that sentence was written (since
> the sentence is at least 5 years old, this is quite possible), or
> it meant to say what you propose.

Err... IIRC I wrote this sentence myself a couple of weeks ago (commit
c67976de78a86699e8274411a7ed2fe825d91a6e), after a discussion with
Mats and Rune:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-01/msg00447.html

> Either way, it appears that the paragraph is pointless and
> potentially confusing.  Anybody object if I delete it?

I don't care since I use italiano.ly :)
Indeed, I think this is just confusing and too verbose.

Cheers,
Valentin