Re: NR 1.1 Pitches 2008-01-26

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: NR 1.1 Pitches 2008-01-26
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:32:26 +0100

2008/1/31, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:

> Relative octave entry:
> There is a much simpler way of describing how this works.
> It's in 2.1.2 of the LM: a note is placed in the octave
> which is within three staff spaces of the previous note,
> ignoring all accidentals.  Simply count staff spaces between
> the positions of the two noteheads.  All the talk of
> doubly-augmented fourths and double-diminished fifths is
> just confusing and unnecessary.

Hi Trevor, I tend to disagree with you on this. I like the current
"conceptual" explanation very much; it makes much more sense from a
musical point of view than yours, which might be simpler but is mainly
about a "graphical" point of view. Could we keep the fourth and fifths
thing somewhere (maybe as a footnote)?

On very other points, I agree with you.

Cheers,
Valentin