Re: Part 2 of 2 -- Re: GDP: NR 1.1 Pitches 2008-01-26

From: Palmer, Ralph
Subject: Re: Part 2 of 2 -- Re: GDP: NR 1.1 Pitches 2008-01-26
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:23:08 -0500

Greetings -

Kurt wrote:

------------------------------

Generally -- "which" and "that" have specific uses that we aren't observing

very well. "That" introduces a restrictive subclause and should not be

preceded by a comma. Removing this clause changes the meaning of the

sentence, usually by making it more general.  On the other hand, "which"

introduces an informative (but non-restrictive) subclause and should be

preceded by a comma.  I replaced which with that below (and in my preceding

email) where the following clause was restrictive and couldn't be removed

without generalizing the meaning of the sentence.

----------------------------------

My copy of The Scott, Foresman Handbook for Writers, Fourth Edition, (1996), under "Problems with that, which, and who?" says,

That being said, I am not opposed to trying to maintain consistency.

Ralph

Ralph Palmer, CEM
Energy/Administrative Coordinator
Keene State College