Re: Tip / trick: making Adobe fonts available to fontconfig

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Tip / trick: making Adobe fonts available to fontconfig
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 08:09:50 -0600

On Feb 5, 2008 2:55 AM, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>> However, I still get the following:
>>
>>   fonts$ fc-cache -f
>>   Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
>>
>> I'm in /etc/fonts when I issue the command; should I maybe be in
>> some other directory?
>>

> Hmm.  On a linux box I would ask you to run
>
>   strace fc-cache -f 2> fc-cache.log

If you're not as much a hacker as Werner, you could try
fc-cache -vf
to get a more verbose message from fc-cache.

  fonts$ fc-cache -vf
  Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
  /usr/share/fonts: skipping, no such directory
  /usr/var/cache/fontconfig: not cleaning unwritable cache directory
  fc-cache: succeeded

(Which, in spite of the "succeeded" message at the end, still doesn't rebuild the cache. Odd, because Lily clearly manages to rebuild the font cache every new install or so, doesn't it??)

--
Trevor Bača