RE: LM 3-4

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: LM 3-4
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 20:47:31 -0000

Graham Percival wrote on 08 February 2008 19:54

> I'd like to draw attention to the Learning
> Manual, chapters 3
> Fundamental concepts and 4 Tweaks.
>
> - if you're a new user, PLEASE read these in
> detail.  There's a lot of
> very helpful information in there.  In addition,
> it should all be
> understandable -- if you start at LM 2 Tutorial
> and read to the end of LM 4,

Well, perhaps to the end of 4.5.  I haven't started
on 4.6 yet, although there is some old material
there.

>you should be able to understand
> everything.

LM 3 and LM 4 are quite hard going for anyone
fairly new to LilyPond.  Normally these sections
would be best deferred until you were comfortable
with everything in LM 2, and had come across some
problems you couldn't solve easily.

> If you can't, we
> consider it a bug in the documentation.  :)
>
> - if you're an advanced user and haven't done so
> already, please skim
> through this material.  The lilypond docs are
> famously written by
> people who don't know what they're talking
> about[1], so we really need
> knowledgeable users to verify what we write.
>
> [1]  No insult to Trevor Daniels; he's done an
> amazing job of the LM.
> But he had to learn each subject from scratch in
> order to write the
> docs, so there's no guarantee that he covered
> everything.

or that what he has written is correct ;)

> Latest GDP docs
> http://web.uvic.ca/~gperciva/
>
> (although these are almost identical to the
> 2.11.39 docs at the
> moment)
>
> Cheers,
> - Graham