Re: how to shorten a TrillSpanner

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: how to shorten a TrillSpanner
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 18:32:45 -0600

On Jul 31, 2006 9:14 PM, Trevor Bača <address@hidden> wrote:
On 5/25/06, Kieren Richard MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello, all!
>
> I'm trying to fix the collision in the following example:
>
> \version "2.9.5"
> \relative
> {
>         \once \override TrillSpanner #'shorten-pair = #'( 10 . 10 )
>                 c1 \startTrillSpan b\stopTrillSpan\startTrillSpan c\stopTrillSpan
> }
>
> Doesn't matter what numbers I use -- no effect.
> [n.b., I used the same technique on an OttavaBracket, and it worked
> as expected.]

Hi Kieren,

I'm facing exactly the same problem tonight; did you ever get a
solution for shortening wavy trill lines (and thus preventing their
collision)?

Your posts from June show that you weren't able to get shorten-pair to
do anything for trills, and that's my experience here, too.

Anything creative?

Always fun to reply to a thread from a year and a half ago, so here goes:

There's now a *much* better way of shortening one end of a trill spanner manually: using the new (as of 2.11.something) #'bound-details list. Here's an example.

Adjacent trill spanners overlap uncomfortably by default:

   \new Staff {
      c1 \startTrillSpan b\stopTrillSpan\startTrillSpan c\stopTrillSpan
   }

You might think that #'shorten-pair would do the trick, but it doesn't:

   \new Staff {
      \once \override TrillSpanner #'shorten-pair = #'(0 . -2)
      c1 \startTrillSpan b\stopTrillSpan\startTrillSpan c\stopTrillSpan
   }

But you can instead use the #'right sublist of #'bound-details:

\new Staff {
   \once \override TrillSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'padding = #2
   c1 \startTrillSpan b\stopTrillSpan\startTrillSpan c\stopTrillSpan
}

The key to figuring this out is that, as of 2.11.12 or .13 or so, TrillSpanner implements all the goodies in the #'bound-details list described in 1.8.3.2 "Text and line spanners".

[I can't remember if I've mailed this one out before or not, but as I had to spend a couple of minutes rediscovering it myself, I thought I'd share. Also mental note to check and add to LSR ...]

--
Trevor Bača