Re: Different vertical dynamics aligning in 2.10 and 2.11 (Was: Aligning

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Different vertical dynamics aligning in 2.10 and 2.11 (Was: Aligning "sempre pp" with "p"...)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:10:27 +0100

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
Thanks a lot for all the different suggestions! Again, this shows the flexibility of Lilypond - there is no one correct solution, but many possible ones.
I'm preparing an LSR snippet to highlight all the different approaches.
I just sent yet another solution, that you might want to include.
While testing it, I found out that lilypond 2.10 and 2.11 treat the vertical position of dynamics and markups quite differently. While in 2.10, all texts are vertically aligned, there are some collisions. In 2.11, on the other hand, there are no collisions (unless you force them by setting with-dimensions), but the vertical positions look terrible and are not aligned at all.

I'm attaching the .ly file and the corresponding pdfs from 2.10.33 and 2.11.39 (joined into one pdf to stay below the 64kB size limit of the mailing list).

Is the behavior in 2.11.39 intended or a bug?
Of course it's intentional ;-) In version 2.11, there's a general mechanism to avoid collisions between different objects outside the stave, by moving them
up or down if necessary to get them out of the way.

What layout would you like to see? If you want to avoid the collisions, you could either shift some of the dynamics up or down, as is currently done in 2.11, or you could change the note spacing so that the dynamics can stay on a single line without
collisions. If you want to try what such a solution looks like, you can use
\override DynamicText #'extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 0.5)
see Section 4.4.3 Outside Staff objects in the Learning Manual for version 2.11
for more information on such tweaks.

   /Mats