Re: Percussion Discussion

From: Jeremiah Reilly
Subject: Re: Percussion Discussion
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:45:18 -0500

Bryan,

On Saturday, December 29, 2007, at 11:36  AM, Bryan Stanbridge wrote:

I highly recommend the following two resources when it comes to percussion writing:

How to Write for Percussion by Sam Solomon (available on Amazon.com).
-> This book goes into detail about the different sounds of percussion instruments, etc, but spends some time discussing how each should be notated.

I also firmly believe that if everyone adopted Vaclav Nehlybel's system for percussion notation, the world would be a better place. Unfortunately I can't find where I found this resource (mine's a copy with no attribution). If you can find it, though, it's great.

Thanks for the advice.

The book, How to Write for Percussion by Samuel Solomon is very comprehensive and well written. I highly recommend it as a reference and resource to lilyponders. One caveat: it is almost exclusively about notation and has very little about composing for percussion.

Jeremiah