Several issues transcribing ancient notation (clefs, noteheads, spacing)

From: Benedict Singer
Subject: Several issues transcribing ancient notation (clefs, noteheads, spacing)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:04:24 -0800

Hi all,

I'm working on transcribing several ancient hymn tunes in ancient notation, and
I've run across a few issues, listed below. I've been using Petrucci note heads
and a clef, and mensural time signatures (and rests, I believe).

1) Is there an easy way to reorder the clef and time signature? I'd like to
swap the order they're currently printed in. If all else fails, I suppose some
opposite X-offsets would do the trick.

2) Is there a way to force minimal spacing of the noteheads. Basically, I don't
want any sort of proportionality based on note duration, just noteheads placed
one after another. The section on horizontal spacing didn't reveal anything to
me, besides the bug note that there's no way to manually override spacing.

3) The longa note. The source I'm working from has what looks like a longa, but
the stem goes up instead of down. I tried briefly with \stemUp, but it didn't
seem to respect that, leading me to believe that the stem is an integral part
of the note glyph. Is this the case? If so, is there a way to replace the glyph
for that note, with say, an EPS or SVG image?

4) Related to the above; none of the available clefs quite match the source
material. Can these also be replaced?

Thanks in advance for answers to any or all of these questions!

Ben