Re: specific temperament and pitch

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: specific temperament and pitch
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:43:02 +0100

On 10 Feb 2008, at 21:25, neuro wrote:

Actually, I was trying to convince my ears first that,
"the major 3rds of every major chord in a tonic piece should be played a little bit lower -- as 'just intonation' tuned, rather than 12-equal temperamented," and hoping Lilypond's midi could play that way.

If you want to compare 12-ET and Just intonation, then you might try 72-ET in Scala. It divides every 12-ET semitone into 6 equal parts. Relative to 12-ET, the interval 5/4 is gotten by lowering the M3 by one 72-ET tone step, the interval 7/4 by lowering the seventh two 72- ET tonesteps, and the 11/4 by lowering the P4+ three tonesteps. It is not as good approximation of the intervals 3/2 and 5/4 as 53-ET, though.

  Hans Ã…berg