suggestion for LM 5.1.3

From: Andrew Hawryluk
Subject: suggestion for LM 5.1.3
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:39:50 -0700

Under LM 5.1.3 "Large projects" could we include something like this?
It might also fit under 5.1.4 "Saving typing with variables and
functions". Either way, I didn't discover this simple idea until I was
browsing through the mailing list, and it would have saved me some
trouble. (I was adding rehearsal marks to each instrument's music
variable. How embarrassing!)

-Andrew

*** start draft text ***

In large projects, you can combine several reusable variables to make
a single staff of music. For example, if three trumpet lines have the
same dynamics we could create a single variable that holds only the
dynamic indications separated by skips. Likewise, if rehearsal marks
are needed, they will be the same for all instruments.

trumpetdynamics = { s1\f s1*10 s1\mp }
rehearsalmarks = {s8 \mark \default }
\score { <<
    \new Staff { << \firsttrumpetnotes \trumpetdynamics \rehearsalmarks >> }
    \new Staff { << \secondtrumpetnotes \trumpetdynamics \rehearsalmarks >> }
>> }

*** end draft text ***