Re: pitched skips

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: pitched skips
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:20:52 +0100

M.v.Strien wrote:
Hi list,

I'm working on a lilytracker, which is basically a tracker like it's described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracker but then without playback, samples etc. It's for me the best of 2 worlds: drag/drop until eternity in visual tools and low-level programming in lilypond, and it's really fast! This tracker is actually nearly done already. To make sure I can put articulations, dynamics etc. on each step without having to do an extreme load o' intelli-code and other scary stuff, I'll be needing the skip command so that stuff can be placed everywhere. The dynamics command in the user tutorial was my starting point regarding that method. The code below works:

{
\relative c

<< {f4 a8 bes c d e f}
\\
{ s16 s s s  s\< s s s\!  s\> s\pp s s\!  s\< s s\! s\ff  } >>

}

However, the skips aren't pitched and so whatever's alligned to that pitch will be on the same heights everywhere, and in this case it'll pinch just through all the notes on that channel. Is it somehow possible to have pitched skips (I would be doubling the notes in my skips section, kinda lika having f16 f f f a a bes bes c d e f) so that any alligned stuff would be at the correct height?
Even better, there's no need for pitched skips, just make sure that the notes and
the dynamics end up in the same Voice context, like

\new Voice {
\relative c
<< {f4 a8 bes c d e f}
{ s16 s s s  s\< s s s\!  s\> s\pp s s\!  s\< s s\! s\ff  } >>
}

or

{
\relative c
\new Voice << {f4 a8 bes c d e f}
{ s16 s s s  s\< s s s\!  s\> s\pp s s\!  s\< s s\! s\ff  } >>
}

Please also make sure that you understand the difference between <<{...} \\ {...} >>

   /Mats