Re: Divisi lyrics

From: Peter Siepmann
Subject: Re: Divisi lyrics
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:50:28 +0000

Thanks, Mats. Though I'm afraid - due probably to my relative inexperience (I'm quite a recent convert to Lilypond!) - the solution to my problem doesn't jump out at me...

Peter

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

As you might know, the documentation is going through a major revision for the
moment. Could you please try to read Section "Voices contain music" in
http://web.uvic.ca/~gperciva/  -> GDP Docs -> Learning Manual
and comment on if you can figure out the answer to your question there.
(Since I know the answer, I know that it's explained there, even though your
particular question isn't explicitly covered).

   /Mats

Peter Siepmann wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply, Mats.

I'm using 2.10.25 and, as you say, the fragment I sent before compiles fine on its own. The troubles arise when I put (single voice) notes either side of it, such as :

R1 r4 fis2 eis4 dis2 cis4. cis8 b'4 b2 ais4 gis2. cis,4
<< { \voiceOne dis2( eis8 fis gis4) fis2 fis4. fis8 fis4 fis2 ~ fis4 gis2 ais4 r4} \\ \new Voice = "vII" { \voiceTwo dis,2 (eis8 dis cis b) ais2 b4. dis8 cisis4 dis2( ais4) cis2 fis4 r4}
     \lyricsto "vII" \new Lyrics {
       mun -- di, mi -- se -- re -- re no -- bis.
     }

cis8. cis16 cis2 cis4 b2 cis4 r8 cis8 cis4 cis cis8 cis4 cis8 b2 cis4 r4

You see, this is part of a much larger score, and the lyrics to most of the music is held in a separate \lyricmode { } block. But there are one or two occasions when a single line splits into two parts; at these points, the main lyrics seem to disappear, and so I tried coding them in alongside the music as in the example above...

Your continued assistance is most gratefully appreciated!

Peter

--
Peter Siepmann BSc (Hons), LRSM, ARCO
Director of Music, St Peter's & All Saints', Nottingham

* See also this term's parish music list at
* http://nottinghamchurches.org/worship-and-music/music-lists