Re: file structure (hierarchy)

From: Nicholas WASTELL
Subject: Re: file structure (hierarchy)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:08:06 +0100

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:06:26 -0000
"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I guess my comment arises from my
> background, which is piano and vocal rather than orchestral,
> where multiple voices are the norm.  Perhaps we need to made
> any suggestions for 'best practice' dependent on the nature
> of the music being considered.

Best practice is always best practice and should be determined by lilypond,
rather than the style of the music.  Sometimes the syntax might be more precise
than is necessary for a given piece, but it will Always Work.

As a newcomer to lilypond, I would have preferred to see 'worst case' sample
code in the Learning Manual, right from the beginning.  It wouldn't make it any
more difficult to understand and it would introduce the new reader to the
correct (if not always necessary) syntax.  It's much easier to skip that extra
pair of curly brackets (or whatever) when experience says that you can, rather
than trying to work out why apparently good code just throws up errors.

I should add, that the current iteration of the Learning Manual is much better
than just a couple of months ago, when I first ploughed through it. ;-)

--
Nicholas WASTELL
France