Polyphony Problem Hopefully Solved

From: Philip
Subject: Polyphony Problem Hopefully Solved
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:32:00 -0600

Formerly, I did en-close the entire expression in double brackets

<<

% top voice

\\

% bottom voice

but forgot to en-close the notes in braces, but I was ignorant of it. So I tried using

\new Voice

but this, as I have said, did not work. But I read in the link I was given and it said that with double-angle brackets the notes for voices had to be en-closed by braces

<<
{
  % top voice
}
\\
{
  % bottom voice
}

which should hopefully solve my problem. But then what is

\new Voice

used for?