Re: Call for help : pitches.itely 1.1.4.3 - shape notes

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Call for help : pitches.itely 1.1.4.3 - shape notes
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:46:01 -0800

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 07:56:57 -0500
"Palmer, Ralph" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm rewriting pitches.itely, and I've run into a snag. I'm only
> marginally familiar with shape notes, and I'd like some help with that
> section : 1.1.4.3 Shape note heads.

It's great that you're looking at such detail, but I'd like to
remind you (and others) that snippets aren't really part of GDP.
Since they *are* snippets, *anybody* can update them -- it doesn't
have to be somebody who has spent two weeks learning how to write
texinfo and the doc policies.

I'd much rather have the GDP helpers only work on the main text in
NR 1 and 2, and only go back to play with the snippets after
that's done.  If we're lucky, we'll have NR 1 finished in three
months.  Then you guys can *start* tackling NR 2, and I'll be gone in
another two months after that.  Updating the .itely files will be much
harder when I'm not here to take care of all the administration, but
updating LSR will still be trivial.

That said...

> 1. It's not clear to me why the solmization name "sol" is replaced by
> "#f". Can anyone give me an explanation I can include in the Notation
> Reference?

... you aren't using a fancy notehead; the G is a normal notehead.  So
it is false that you want to use a fancy notehead.

> 2. Is this the proper place to list the possible note head shapes? If
> not, I think we should at least tell people where to find a list;
> where would such a list live? I tried, unsuccessfully, to find one.

No, this is the wrong place.  The correct place is Appendix B5
Note head styles.  It's linked from 1.1.4.1 Special note heads.

I fully support adding a link to B5 from 1.1.4.3, though.  :)

Cheers,
- Graham