Re: Second attempt - Chord gis ais b dis - getting its proper name

From: Thies Albrecht
Subject: Re: Second attempt - Chord gis ais b dis - getting its proper name
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:50:13 +0100

Hi Brett, hi list!

We agree on the point that Tomas has to "roll his own" like you call it as long as he wants lily to display G#-minor-add2.

And just to stop a debatte before it comes up:

I understand your point an add2-chord being a different voicing than an add9-chord. I asked a musician who studied classical piano about A# in a G#-minor and she answered it is always called a 9. Depending on the pitch you have a different impression what the chord sounds like.

Also I was aware of the fact that interpretation in the context of jazz can be different. A quick glance in a jazz book I have couldn't give me an answer. Perhaps the following link shows it best how interpretation can differ (right at the bottom):

http://jmdl.com/howard/music/quick_crd_ref.html#add2add9

Of course an add2 isn't an inversion of add9. What I wanted to show by my C-major example: The same chord name can be meant as different vocings.

Regards
Thies