Re: Showing instrument name and correct clef with cue notes

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: Showing instrument name and correct clef with cue notes
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 00:28:30 +0100

hi reinhold,

On Feb 17, 2008 12:42 AM, Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Okay, this works in most cases, but when there is a line break immediately
> before the cue notes, the clef for the cue notes is already shown on the
> previous line and also as the clef for the whole staff (of course, since
> that's what we are setting as a workaround...). This is confusing at best,
> since e.g. the staff for Vc/B would suddently show a treble clef.

i just quickly scanned through my collection of orchestral trombone
parts from the past 5 years. there seem to be two approaches to
formatting clefs of cue notes over line breaks:

1.) the clef of the cued instrument is used exclusively at the
beginning of the lines (i have an example where the clef change is
_on_ the line break, the change is shown as in your example).
2.) both clefs are shown, the original one before the key signature,
the cued on after the key signature. (here, i have an example where
the change is at a line break, the cued clef is shown on the new line
only, in another part however, it is shown at both the end of the line
and after the original clef in the new line).

approach 1 seems to be the far more common, and this is how lilypond
displays it; in my view, it's also the musically correct approach, as
the music shown at the beginning of that staff _is_ in the clef
displayed.

i personally do not find the changed clef at the beginning of the line
confusing, as before i start playing again, my clef changes back. cue
notes are informational, and as long as the cue notes are visually
different and the clef change is reversed before my part starts again,
there's no problem. then again, i'm a trombonist and used to jumping
clefs. :)

regards,
sb

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of trombonists, for they are subtle and
quick to play fortissimo.