Re: Several issues transcribing ancient notation (clefs, noteheads, spac

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Several issues transcribing ancient notation (clefs, noteheads, spacing)
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 23:55:37 -0300

2008/2/12, till <address@hidden>:

> 2. There is a lot of threads here on the list. You can play with all sorts
> of spacing but nothing is yet really convincing. The most simple workaround
> appears to be to scale all note durations to a singe duration, eg. 1/8,
> which can be achieved by appending the note duration: a\breve*1/8 will give
> a breve that takes only the space of 1/8. It should be possible to write a
> scheme expression that does this automatically, but I don't know how.

This is very badly tested, but

\header {
  texidoc = "
        In packed mode, pack notes as tight as possible.  This makes
        sense mostly in combination with raggedright mode: the notes
        are then printed at minimum distance.  This is mostly useful
        for ancient notation, but may also be useful for some flavours
        of contemporary music.  If not in raggedright mode, lily will
        pack as much bars of music as possible into a line, but the
        line will then be stretched to fill the whole linewidth.
"
  }

\version "2.11.40"

\layout {
  ragged-right = ##t
}

\relative {
  \override Score.SpacingSpanner #'packed-spacing = ##t
  c2 d4 f8[ g]