Fixed, tight staff spacing

From: Marcus Macauley
Subject: Fixed, tight staff spacing
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 06:44:49 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

In Lilypond 2.10.33, I want to have four staves per system, connected by a
piano-style brace, with exactly enough space for two ledger lines between the
upper two staves, one ledger line between the middle two staves, and two ledger
lines between the lower two staves. (Measured from center line to center line,
that works out to 7, 6, and 7 staff spaces, respectively.)

I tried the various methods described in section 11.4 of the manual (with and
without PianoStaff), but I couldn't get the staves tight enough. (There are
some notes which are supposed to overlap or collide with the staves above/
below.) It seems the only option left is "11.4.4 Explicit staff and system
positioning", but I don't want to specify the position of each new system, just
the amount of space between the staves within a system -- and this spacing
should apply to every system throughout the score.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Marcus Macauley