Re: what does adorn mean in this context? GDP

From: Nicholas WASTELL
Subject: Re: what does adorn mean in this context? GDP
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:20:09 +0100

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:26:58 -0800
"Jay Hamilton" <address@hidden> wrote:

> There are two music functions, balloonGrobText and balloonText; the former
> takes the name of the grob to adorn, while the latter may be used as an
> articulation on a note. The other arguments are the offset and the text of
> the label.
>
> the words after the semicolon (;) look like they make sense but adorn and
> articulation don't really make sense

I'm a native English (en-GB) speaker, but I am not familiar with the balloon
function. ;-)  However:

To adorn is to decorate and enhance.  It's rather an old-fashioned word, I
suppose. <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/adorn>

Articulation in this context is a musical term, meaning a mark (e.g., accent,
staccato dot, stopped mark) against a note showing how it should be delivered
(i.e., articulated).  <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/articulation>

It doesn't explain (to me) the difference between the two functions.  I'd have
a look in LSR, but it appears to be down at the moment.

hth,

Nick.
--
Nicholas WASTELL