Re: Fixed, tight staff spacing

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Fixed, tight staff spacing
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:11:03 -0600

On Feb 19, 2008 12:44 AM, Marcus Macauley <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

In Lilypond 2.10.33, I want to have four staves per system, connected by a
piano-style brace, with exactly enough space for two ledger lines between the
upper two staves, one ledger line between the middle two staves, and two ledger
lines between the lower two staves. (Measured from center line to center line,
that works out to 7, 6, and 7 staff spaces, respectively.)

I tried the various methods described in section 11.4 of the manual (with and
without PianoStaff), but I couldn't get the staves tight enough. (There are
some notes which are supposed to overlap or collide with the staves above/
below.) It seems the only option left is "11.4.4 Explicit staff and system
positioning", but I don't want to specify the position of each new system, just
the amount of space between the staves within a system -- and this spacing
should apply to every system throughout the score.

Any suggestions?

Hi Marcus,

You can set #'line-break-system-details alignment-offsets independently and score-globally.

For example:

%%% BEGIN %%%

\version "2.11.34"

\layout {
   \context {
      \Score
      \override NonMusicalPaperColumn
      #'line-break-system-details = #'((alignment-offsets . (0 -6 -12 -18)))

\new GrandStaff <<
   \new Staff { \repeat unfold 128 f'8 }
   \new Staff { \repeat unfold 128 f'8 }
   \new Staff { \repeat unfold 128 f'8 }
   \new Staff { \repeat unfold 128 f'8 }

This will force 6 staffspaces of vertical distance between the center stafflines of staves of all four staves. Collisions and even overprint are possible here, which sounds like exactly what you'll need for the type of conglomerate staff you're assembling.

Let me know if this is the sorta thing you're looking for. I neglected to add this fact -- that alignment-offsets is globally settable, and also that the various #'line-break-system-details settings can all set independently of one another -- to 11.4.4 "Explicit staff and system positioning"; if this is what your project needs then I'll add a section to either 11.4.4 or the LSR, as Graham specifies.

Trevor.

--
Trevor Bača