Special symbols in tabulature

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Special symbols in tabulature
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:57:18 +0100

Hello,

After years of typesetting guitar music with MusiXTeX, I finally switched to
Lilypond (2.10.5, which comes with ubuntu feisty). Now (nearly) everything
works fine, but there are two related problems with tabulature:

1) How can I put a symbol instead of the fret number in the tabulature?
Sometimes a "x" denotes that a string is plucked with no definite pitch, or I
use brackets to indicate a harmonic: <5> (the number needn't to be calculated
by lilypond, because the relationship between the fret number and the
resultig note is not linear; even fractional frets like <2.6> for the sixth
harmonic of a string are used in tabbing guitar scores).

2) How can I put a symbol in the middle between two tab numbers, without
influencing the spacing? For example, there are many possibilities to connect
two notes, like "hammer on", "pull off, "slide" etc., which I want to mark
not with a slur in the tabulature, but with one or two letters:

I searched the manual and the LSR, but I dind't find any hints.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Marc
--

www.hohlart.de