Re: Fixed, tight staff spacing

From: Marcus Macauley
Subject: Re: Fixed, tight staff spacing
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:10:22 +0000 (UTC)

Trevor Baca wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> You can set #'line-break-system-details alignment-offsets independently and
> score-globally.
>
> For example:
>

> %%% BEGIN %%%
>
> \version "2.11.34"
>
> \layout {
>    \context {
>       \Score
>       \override NonMusicalPaperColumn
>       #'line-break-system-details = #'((alignment-offsets . (0 -6 -12 -18)))
>    }
> }
>
> \new GrandStaff <<
>    \new Staff { \repeat unfold 128 f'8 }
>    \new Staff { \repeat unfold 128 f'8 }
>    \new Staff { \repeat unfold 128 f'8 }
>    \new Staff { \repeat unfold 128 f'8 }
>>>

> %%% END %%%
>

> This will force 6 staffspaces of vertical distance between the center
> stafflines of staves of all four staves. Collisions and even overprint are
> possible here, which sounds like exactly what you'll need for the type of
> conglomerate staff you're assembling.
>
> Let me know if this is the sorta thing you're looking for. I neglected to
> add this fact -- that alignment-offsets is globally settable, and also that
> the various #'line-break-system-details settings can all set independently
> of one another -- to 11.4.4 "Explicit staff and system positioning"; if this
> is what your project needs then I'll add a section to either 11.4.4 or the
> LSR, as Graham specifies.

This looks just about perfect! (The numbers I need are actually (0 -7
-13 -20).) My only gripe is that I'd rather specify the spacing between
some of the staves in a score, but leave others to be calculated
automatically. (I mentioned the four staves which I want to be fixed
relative to each other. Above those four staves will be a few more which
don't need to be fixed relative to each other, or relative to the top of
these four. If necessary, I'll arbitrarily fix those staves' positions
too -- e.g. (20 10 0 -7 -13 -20) -- but I'd prefer to let Lilypond
decide on the appropriate spacing, adjusting it where necessary to avoid
collisions.)

Thanks,
Marcus