RE: what does adorn mean in this context? question continues GDP

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: what does adorn mean in this context? question continues GDP
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:12:40 -0000

Hi Jay

I'd rewite the sentence containing 'adorn' as:

There are two music functions, balloonGrobText and balloonText.  The former is
used like rather like \once \override to attach text to any grob, and the
latter is used like \tweak, typically within chords, to attach text to an
individual note when there are several occuring at the same musical moment.

Perhaps a clearer example would be:

\new Voice \with { \consists "Balloon_engraver" }
     {
       \balloonGrobText #'Stem #'(3 . 4) \markup { "I'm a Stem" }
       a'8
       <c' g'-\balloonText #'(-2 . -2) \markup { "I'm a note head" } c''>8
     }

HTH

Trevor

<http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/adorn>

Articulation in this context is a musical term, meaning a mark (e.g., accent,
staccato dot, stopped mark) against a note showing how it should be delivered
(i.e., articulated).  <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/articulation>

It doesn't explain (to me) the difference between the two functions.  I'd have
a look in LSR, but it appears to be down at the moment.

hth,

Nick.
--
Nicholas WASTELL